Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Quinoa, yes please!

Tonight I went over to my in-laws for my nephew's birthday party. I ended up bringing a quinoa dish to share.  This power-packed Seed (it is technically not a grain) is amazing.  In just 1/3 cup you get 6g of protein.

This recipe is a spin-off (I've changed several things) of a Black Bean Quinoa Salad recipe I found in a Penzey spice catalog.



Quinoa Mango-Bean Salad
1 mango, peeled and diced small
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced small
1 cup chopped cilantro
1 TB flaxseed oil
2 TB red wine vinegar
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground, fine black pepper
2 1/2 cups cooked quinoa, cooled (about 1 cup raw)
1  15 oz can cannellini beans
1/4 tsp dried jalape├▒o pepper flakes (you can use fresh, I just didn't because for some reason my hands hurt really bad after cutting hot peppers)

Mix everything together and enjoy!

Athan likes the quinoa mango-bean salad too!

4 comments:

  1. YUMMY! I love quinoa:) Will definitely be trying this!
    Athan is to cute for words!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nom nom...
    I have a yummy quinoa salad recipe, but I don't make it too often cause it gives me gas. Bad. It's better when I soak it overnight in water/vinegar before cooking, though.
    It's especially great in summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Farrah!
    Liz, we dont seem to have the same issue with quinoa, but have you tried soaking the quinoa with a 1.5 inch strip of kombu (a type seaweed) overnight? That seems to help cut gas with beans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried everything. Soaking overnight with vinegar/lemon juice, washing it a million times before cooking, you name it.

      I think I'll just have to live without, which totally sucks, cause I love it! It's sooooo good...

      Delete