Friday, November 23, 2012

Book Review: His Holiness the Dalai Lama: Path of Wisdom, Path of Peace

 His Holiness the Dalai Lama: Path of Wisdom, Path of Peace. A Personal Conversation by Felizitas Von Schoenborn.


I picked this book up at the library the other day.  A few years back I watched "Seven Years in Tibet" and I have had a soft spot in my heart for the Dalai Lama ever since.  I also watched a documentary on the Dalai Lama on Netflix shortly after watching "Seven Years in Tibet".  It turns out one of my sister's close friends from high school is now a Buddhist nun over in Tibet!  It is a small world.  Although I am not buddhist, I enjoyed this book.  My favorite part was the back and forth conversation between the Dalai Lama and the author. I felt like his holiness' answers were profound yet graspable.  Sometimes I feel that theological or ideological concepts can be too complex.  The Dalai Lama drove to the heart of the questions with simple answers.  I would recommend checking this book out at the library or borrowing it, unless you are Buddhist and want it for your collection.

I feel that anytime I read about another culture it helps me to see that life is not black and white. That people are different, that we are all human, we all want to be loved and to seek truth.

Some Great Quotes From The Book:

"World peace begins with a peaceful heart."

"Religion can give people trust and confidence in time of need. Gives Humanity the gift of hope in affliction" (I paraphrased this one)

"A healthy dose of skepticism must be part of the search for truth"

"Conversation with people who think differently is very important."

"Our true enemies are our own bad thoughts."

"The more we own, the more we can lose."



No comments:

Post a Comment