Thursday, November 15, 2012

Quick Zip Hummus

I love hummus but I don't like all the preservatives in the run-of-the-mill hummus that is available at the grocery store.  Making hummus is easy and fun! Below is a recipe that John and I enjoy, it has a hint of smokey flavor.

Ingredients:
1 can organic chick peas
1/4 cup tahini (I use Krinos)
1 TBSP olive oil
1 or 2 TBSP fresh lemon juice (depends on how lemony you like it!)
2 cloves minced garlic, pre-cooked (or 1/2 teaspoon garlic granules - I use Penzey's)
1 to 2 teaspoons liquid smoke (depends on how smokey you like it)
1/4 teaspoon cumin
pinch of pepper
pinch of sea salt
4 - 5 dandelion leaves (pick leaves that have not had a flower produced from the plant. After flowering, the leaves become bitter) I add these to increase the nutrients in the hummus. I wish I had larger leaves but since it is the end of fall, it can be difficult to find larger leaves that have not had a flower.


Straint and rinse chick peas well. Add all ingredients to a food processor.  If the mixture is thick, add a little water (one teaspoon at a time) until the consistency is smooth and congealed but NOT runny.

I like to dust the top with paprika. I also love some heat to my hummus so I add Cento chopped Cherry Peppers.  Enjoy with veggie sticks, chips, on sandwiches, etc.






No comments:

Post a Comment