Thursday, December 20, 2012

Essential Oils

I have been reading about essential oils for a few months now. This passion started when I read Secrets Beyond Aromatherapy by Myra Sri.  It was a free read through Kindle and it really opened up a lot of questions for me.

The next book I picked up was Advanced Aromatherapy by Kurt Schnaubelt.  This is a great book which goes in depth about the properties of each oil and why it is effective for certain treatments.  

The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy by Valerie Worwood is a great reference guide for everyday ailments.  I would probably recommend this book if you are new to essential oils and want an introduction.  I checked it out of the library and read it before purchasing it.  I like to dabble in a book before seeing if I want to spend the money on it.

The most recent book I read on essential oils is Kurt Schnaubelt's Healing Intelligence of Essential Oils. It goes into depth about certain plants, their secondary characteristics which have allowed the plant to fight disease and how those chemicals can help us fight off certain infections.  I really enjoyed the chapters on how to use essential oils for the bath/shower and information on contraindications.


 Essential oils from Mountain Rose Herbs:


Essential oils and mixtures from a local shop, Aromatones. I am a big fan of their Tea Tree oil, it is really strong!

Left to Right, Swiss Aromatics, Mountain Rose Herbs, Ananda Apothecary:

 Ananda Apothecary Essential Oils- 100% Therapeutic Grade Oils:

If you are just starting out with essential oils, I really recommend reading a few different books.  Some authors will site safety with certain oils (some are not to be used during pregnancy, lactation, on children, etc), while other authors don't touch upon this as much.  Some oil distributers will list not to use but there is no evidence that the oil is not safe, it seems to be more of a precaution.

Some oils I love:
Tea Tree from Aromatones: great diluted in a spray bottle with salt water, spray on athlete's foot 2X's a day.

Swiss Aromatics: Bay Laurel

Ananada: Narrow Leaf Eucalyptus, Lavender, Rosemary Verbenone, Ravensara, Hyssop, and Thyme (linalol)- there are different types of thyme essential oils, this is a gentle one.

No comments:

Post a Comment