Monday, December 10, 2012

Mushroom Risotto

My brother-in-law makes this awesome mushroom risotto. I am not sure where he found the recipe but it is really good.  It is really creamy and flavorful!  I had purchased a container of assorted mushrooms on sale at the grocery store and decided that I should try to make this dish.

Ingredients:
1 package organic assorted mushrooms, washed, and chopped
1/2 of a large sweet onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
organic olive oil
1.5 cups of uncooked risotto rice (I used Aborio)
1 and 1/4 cup of dry white wine
8 cups of veggie broth (I use 8 cups water and one cube of Edward & Sons Not-Chick'n Broth)
organic parsley, chopped

Saute chopped onion for 3 minutes on medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 2 more minutes. Stir frequently. Add mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are cooked (about 4-5 minutes). Stir frequently.

Make sure to have a separate pot with the 8 cups of veggie broth off to the side. I kept this pot on med/low so it was really hot but not boiling. You want this veggie stock to be hot!

Add 1.5 cups of uncooked risotto rice to the pot with the mushrooms, onions, garlic in it. Stir  constantly for about 2 minutes. When it is ready, the rice will "clink" a little when it hits the side of the pot/pan.

Add 1 and 1/4 cup of dry white wine to the mushroom dish (have wine at room temp). Let cook for 5 minutes. Stir often.

Ladle a cup or two of veggie broth into the pot with the rice and veggies. I like to cover the rice with the liquid. Stir constantly (like you are babysitting a 2 year old- you can't take your eyes off of it). Don't stop stirring. Once that liquid has evaporated, add another 1-2 cups and continue the process.  The liquid usually evaporates every 2-3 minutes.

I ended up using all 8 cups of broth and an additional 1/2 cup of plain water.  I kept taste testing the risotto to see when it was done.

Garnish the top with fresh chopped parsley.







No comments:

Post a Comment