Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Stuffed Baby Portobello Mushrooms

I snagged two packages of organic baby portobello mushrooms at Kroger for $1.99 each.  I decided it would be fun to meld a few ideas and a few recipes together to create my own.  Here is what I ended up with.  John and I loved the results!

Ingredients:
12 baby portobello mushrooms, washed and air dried
1 and 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
10 organic corn chips
1 TBSP organic olive oil
1 medium sweet yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup Daiya Havarti Style Wedge shredded
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 TBSP fresh parsley
1/8 teaspoon Penzeys black pepper
* Penzeys ground chipotle (optional)


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Lightly oil a 9 X 5 baking pan.

Remove the stems from the mushrooms and set aside in a food processor (they will get chopped up with the stuffing ingredients in a minute).

Heat 1 TBSP olive oil over medium heat. Cover and cook onions for 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes. Stir frequently. Add cooked onions and garlic, panko bread crumbs, corn chips, salt, parsley, and black pepper to the mushroom stems in the food processor. Process until chopped up well (see picture). Transfer to a bowl and stir in the Daiya cheese. Mix until evenly distributed.

Stuff mushroom caps with breaded mixture. I used my fork and pressed the mixture down to allow for more stuffing. Don't press too hard or the mushroom cap may split. Arrange in 9 X 5 pan. Sprinkle chipotle on top of the caps. I put the ground chipotle on about half of the mushroom caps.

Bake for 35-40 minutes. Check mushroom at 30 minutes and just make sure the tops aren't browning too quickly.









I ate the mushroom to the right (middle area) before taking the picture. It was sooo good looking; I could not resist!

No comments:

Post a Comment