Thursday, February 7, 2013

Winter Squash and Apple Soup

I really loved this soup recipe! Spicy and hints of sweetness.  John isn't a fan of squash but he had seconds! It is so yummy.

My sister passed this recipe to me after a co-worker brought some to work. Caitlin, my sister, told me everyone loved it, so she gave me the recipe. I'm not sure where this came from but it isn't my own creation.

Ingredients:
1 TBSP Earth Balance or olive oil
1 medium onion, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
1 organic butternut squash (1 - 1 1/2 lbs) peeled, seeded, and chopped
2 golden delicious apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 cups vegetable stock
1/2 cup organic apple cider
1/2 cup water
2 TBSP chives (optional)
Vegan sour cream (optional)

Directions- In a large sauce pan, over medium heat, melt EarthBalance (or heat up oil) and add the chopped onion. Stir until onions are soft (about 4 min). Add the squash and stir about 10 minutes.

Add apples, salt, cumin, coriander, ginger, cayenne, veggie stock, cider, and water.  Bring to a boil, then cover and let it simmer for about 25-30 minutes.

Put soup into a food processor and blend until creamy (or if you have an immersion blender, blend the soup right in the pot).  Serve hot with a dollop of vegan sour cream and a sprinkle of chives.

I didn't have any sour cream or chives. Instead I placed 3 small drops of coconut milk and some cut up scallions to decorate the top.






No comments:

Post a Comment