Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Allison's Kale Dish

My sister gave me this recipe after her coworker, Allison, brought it to work for a potluck. My sister said that everyone LOVED this dish so I figured I would veganize it and try making it myself (I also changed a few things!) Allison's original recipe used Parmesan cheese instead of the nutritional yeast, garlic powder, black pepper and salt. Also, the original recipe did not call for massaging the kale.

Ingredients:
1 bunch of organic kale
1 TBSP organic olive oil
Juice from one lemon
1 cup organic golden raisins
1 cup pine nuts
2/3 cup nutritional yeast
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon fine black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt

Wash and cut kale into bite size pieces. I like mine to be pretty small.  Put in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Add the lemon juice.  To make the Kale easier to eat, I massage my kale with my hands. It breaks down the toughness of the kale and makes it so much easier to eat.  I massage it until all the kale feels sort of limp and looks darker in hue.

Add raisins and pine nuts.  In a separate bowl put nutritional yeast, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Mix until evenly distributed.  Sprinkle a little on top of the kale and then stir. Sprinkle more & stir. Keep doing this until all of the nutritional yeast mixture is evenly incorporated into the kale.  I like to add it slowly because then it evenly coats the kale and doesn't clump in one spot (or on the sides of the bowl).






I decided to make sandwiches out of the kale salad to make it a into a meal.  

Ingredients:
organic whole wheat pita pockets
one avocado, sliced
organic Tempeh, browned (you can add a sauce while cooking to add more flavor) 
Allison's Kale Salad

Grill the tempeh. I used some left over Ginger Sauce to spicy it up a little. Cut into strips.
Cut the pita in half so that you can fill the inside with yum-tastic food.
Line pita with avocado and tempeh, then stuff as much kale salad inside as you can. Enjoy!











No comments:

Post a Comment