Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Gwam Crackers- Vegan Style

These are yum and the ingredients cost a lot less than buying packaged graham crackers at the store.  Many pre-made graham crackers have a long list of hard to pronounce ingredients, and some contain milk... I figured I would save some $$$ and make some of gwam crackers (it also makes me happy that I can pronounce all of the ingredients).

This is not my recipe. I found it online. Here is a link: http://www.recipething.com/recipes/show/11734-gwam-crackers 

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup organic sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup oil
2 TBSP molasses
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup rice milk (you may need a little more for standby if it is too dry).

Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon & salt. Mix. In a separate bowl whisk oil, molasses and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients. Mix everything well until it is combined and crumbly. Drizzle the milk in and mix. Use your hands to distribute the moisture evenly through the 'dough'.  Add extra rice milk if needed.

I like to have crumbles to make different desserts (gwam pie crusts, or bottom layer to certain desserts). To make crumbles- evenly distribute the crumbles onto the lined cookie sheet and bake for 7 minutes. I stir the crumbles and break up any large balls with a fork and bake 7 more minutes.


If you want to make crackers, I roll out the dough and prick with a fork to make them easily breakable. Bake 8 minutes, flip and bake 8 more.





No comments:

Post a Comment