Monday, January 28, 2013

Scallion Pancakes

When I was in high school, I loved eating Phu Jee Chinese Cuisine's scallion pancakes. My sister, Cait, got me hooked on them.  I also adore their ginger sauce!  How I miss you Phu Jee's!

When I was pregnant I CRAVED scallion pancakes but for some reason none of the chinese restaurants in North East TN have them. I was baffled!!!  Thank goodness for Vegan Planet; Robin Robertson has done it again, this time with one of my favorite comfort foods. Here is my go-to recipe for these savory, doughy snacks.

I have omitted a few ingredients but this recipe is based off of the recipe from Vegan Planet.

Ingredients:
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup boiling water (may need more)
1 TBSP toasted sesame oil
3/4 cup minced organic scallions or green onions
1 TBSP peanut oil

Place the flour and salt in a food processor. Add 1/4 of the scallions/green onions to the food processor.  Run the machine for 20 seconds. With the machine running, slowly add the water through the feed tube adding a little more water, if necessary, until a ball of dough forms. Remove from the food processor, cover with plastic wrap or a damp cloth, and let rest for 30 minutes.

Divide the dough into two pieces. Set one aside and cover. On a floured surface, press 1/4 of the scallions into the dough. Kneed a little and then roll into a circle about 1/4 inch thick. Brush on 1/2 the sesame oil. Set aside and repeat with the remaining dough ball.

Heat half of the peanut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place one of the pancakes in the pan and cook until golden brown on both sides. Turn once. It should take about 6 or 7 minutes total. Repeat with the remaining peanut oil and pancake.

Cut the pancakes into wedges and serve hot with my favorite ginger dipping sauce.

Ginger Dipping Sauce: http://chinesefood.about.com/od/saucesdipping/r/gingersauce.htm 

The ginger sauce MAKES this recipe.  The pancakes don't taste nearly as good without it.








No comments:

Post a Comment