Friday, January 18, 2013

Seven Layer Delights (aka. Magic Bars)

My mom use to make these when I was growing up. They are sooo delicious.  They really take me back to when I was younger.  I have made these four times since becoming vegan (veganized the recipe). They are not particularly healthy so I try to make them for special occasion only.  We had friends over last night and they LOVED them!

The past two blog posts I wrote about two recipes (gwam crackers & coconut sweetened condensed milk). Both of these recipes are used in the Seven Layer Delight Bars. Check out the previous blogs if you need more info.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup Earth Balance (I use the soy free kind)
1 1/4 cups gwam crackers (or store bought vegan graham crackers that are crushed up)
14 oz of sweetened condensed coconut milk
6 oz ghirardelli semi sweet chocolate chips - the gold bag
6 oz vegan butterscotch chips
1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 F. If you are using a glass baking sheet preheat to 330 F.
Melt Earth Balance. Evenly sprinkle gwam cracker crumbs on bottom of a 9 X 5 pan. Moisten with the melted earth balance and then pat down.
Pour 1/2 of sweetened condensed coconut milk over crumbs. I like to drizzle lightly.
Decorate with chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, coconut and nuts.
Drizzle remaining sweetened condensed coconut milk over the top.

Bake for 25-30 minutes, until lightly browned. Allow to cool.  I liked to store these in the refrigerator because they harden up and come out in solid squares. At room temperature they tend to be crumbly and messy.








(cue cookie monster voice) -WANT TO EAT THIS PICTUREEEEEE. hahaha

1 comment:

  1. OMG. WANT. NOW. How soon can you be here with a pan of these? ;)

    ReplyDelete