Thursday, October 4, 2012

Book Review: Green Goes With Everything

Green Goes With Everything: Simple Steps To a Healthier Life and Cleaner Planet by Sloan Barnett (2008)

A friend recommended this book, so I borrowed it from the library. For the category Green/Eco-Friendly Living, I would rate is a 8 out of 10.

The author's son was diagnosed with asthma and she went on a mission to eliminate many of the toxic products from her home and her life.  The book is researched and informative.  She discusses many different aspects of eliminating toxins: household cleaners, cosmetics, hair products, body products. She also writes about water pollution, air pollution, food, and how to reduce exposure for children.

Pros:
Practical advice
Great introduction/guide - especially if you are planning on having kids
Motivating

Cons:
At some points in the book the author really pushes Shaklee Products (her husband's company).  It actually turned me off to buying them because I felt like she was trying to sell them to me. I hate that feeling.  A better approach may have been for her to include Shaklee with other products and not rave about Shaklee but let the consumer choose.  I cannot attest to whether or not Shaklee makes good products (I have heard people love them) but I will not be purchasing anytime soon. She has certainly turned me off.

Conclusion:
I recommend this book and may even purchase.  I have made several changes since reading it and I believe it has helped me take steps to make my home safer for my family. Also, there are some great product references in the back of the book.

You can check out more reviews and more information on Green Goes With Everything HERE.


Other books that I've read and would recommend in this category:
1. Slow Death By Rubber Duck: The Secret Danger of Everyday Things
2. Body Toxic: How the Hazardous Chemistry of Everyday Things Threatens Our Health and Well-Being

If you click on the above titles, you can read a synopsis of each book.  I skipped purchasing them and checked them out from the library.


The more I am learning and reading, the more I realize that I have to educate myself about what is safe for me and my family.  The government is not going to do this for us.  For example, HUNDREDS of chemicals are banned by the EU (in regards to cosmetic safety), yet in the USA, only a few are banned.   Moms in Canada rallied to get BPA removed from baby bottles, yet in the USA, some bottle still have this controversial plastic. There are a lot of government ties to the chemical industry and what is best for business is not always what is best for human health.



No comments:

Post a Comment