Thursday, October 25, 2012

Sourdough Bread

Kick'in sourdough bread.  The crust tastes like Cheez-Its (I haven't had Cheez-Its for like 10 years & when I ate the bread I couldn't put my finger on the flavor but when John came home we were noming on it and I figured out the flavor!)

I really recommend reading and trying the Basic-no-kneed-method first.  My dad bought me a cast iron/enamel dutch oven for Christmas last year. I have used it SO many times for this recipe! (Thanks Dad!)

Since I have my sourdough starter, I figured I would try a different recipe.
http://www.breadtopia.com/sourdough-no-knead-method/

I love the bread, but I felt the dough was too soupy after the first proofing.  I would cut back on the water in this recipe to 1 1/4 cups water. I also used less salt than the recipe called for (I used 3/4 teaspoon vs 1 1/2 teaspoons).

I had a major mess on my hands this morning - the dough was liquid! I am not joking, I POURED it out onto my lightly floured cutting board and realized quickly that something was NOT right.  I added a ton of extra flour until the dough could hold itself together and moved onto the second rising. Oh well! Next time I am going to add less water to start with and see how that goes.


My dough last night after stirring in all ingredients.




Covered and ready to sit overnight:


13 hours later (note: I had to do some serious reconstructive surgery to make the bread less watery- aka. lots of flour):



Made this bowl into a "proofing basket" (I don't have one), So I used olive oil to lightly coat the bowl and sprinkled corn meal all over to create a non-stick surface.


Sourdough bread ready for last proofing (had to put it in the above bowl to proof one last time):


 Piping Hot! Still has 15 minutes left without the dutch oven top on:


Flash on:


 Flash off:


No comments:

Post a Comment